Friday, November 11, 2011

At long last



After a long week of lots of work, I have a little break to my self, though I have work this afternoon so it's not too long. Last night went out for a friends birthday - although out is an exaggeration as we stayed at hers and drank out on the balcony - was lovely fun :) I gave her the nail polish I mentioned in the last post!
 
I haven't yet uploaded My Summer Bucket List, but I have started to complete it. So far I have seen a pieec of the theatre already this summer. I saw Love Never Dies - the sequel to Phantom of the Opera. It was FANTASTIC! As a theatre student, I love the 'Wow' factor and this production had it in millions. The lights and the set design were jaw dropping. I could have stared at them all day!


The other thing I have completed on my list is to read a book. The first book of the Summer was: What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. She is one of my favourite YA (young adult) authors and this book did not disappoint. Wasn't a new favourite - I own all of them but I would place in my top few (it would probably be about 6). As a kid who went to 6 different schools and grew up in 4 different countries, I loved the idea of how she reinvented herself each time. I admit, I was still pretty much the same person in each place. But who ever you are with does shape your personality and because I am obsessed with names, I like how each name she embodied carried a different personality. A name is so much more than just that. It becomes part of your personality and carries its own connotations. Naming a child is perhaps the biggest responsibility that new parents are given, other than looking after a newborn infant :P Another thing I love about her books is how characters cross over. In the new book, there were characters from Along for the Ride, Truth About Forever and Keeping the Moon.

I also adore these new covers that are being released in Australia. But they did look better when the background was black so I hope they revert them! I love the little doodles and the text interspersed within them. It is definitely extremely unique. As you will see below, I love interesting covers!


If you are interested her books, my favourites are as follows:

1. This Lullaby
I think this one will always be my favourite. It was the first book I read by Sarah and it was just like falling in love reading this book. I've read it several times since then, but not in awhile - but this post is making me want to pick it up again! For me, the characters were so realistic. Remy, her family and Dexter all came to life for me. I also ADORE the cover of this image. I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but as a lover of cool, original and interesting design, this one never fails to catch my attention.

2. Lock and Key
The reason why I loved this one because it was so different to her others. It also fueled my obsession with key necklaces.

3. Truth about Forever

This was, I think, the second book I read by Sarah, right after This Lullaby and it was this one that made want/need to own all of her books! This is because This Lullaby could have been fluke but this one cemented, to me at least, that here was a great female writer that understands teenage girls. I started reading these books when I was about 16 - so about same age as a lot of the narrators and for the first time I felt like there were fully realised characters that had characteristics similar to me. My only gripe with all these books that it seems that all the girls need a guy to help them out and as I was very a non-boy-crazy girl in High School, that annoyed me. What Happened to Goodbye actually handled this fairly well, maybe better than others. But this is a little review of The Truth About Forever :P But what Sarah does is that she writes such endearing guys that I can't help but fall in love with them and therefore I believe in her stories. And this is what happened in this book :) The tagline on all her books now is - Read her once and fall in love - I definitely did this!

4. Along for the Ride

I loved the symbolism in this book and about returning to childhood, or rather the lack of having one. I read this book around when I was about to turn 20 and I loved the ideas in it about this. Also, I kinda like bikes!

5. Keeping the Moon

This is an older classic one of Sarah's and I like it because once again her characters are so realistic! I haven't read this one in awhile so I don't remember specifics, but I do remember the detail and how fully realised her heroines are.

I better go get ready for work now! Hope you enjoyed the post!

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

Powered by Blogger.

+

Blogger templates

Popular Posts

About Me

My photo
Manda is a 23 year old little girl who takes jumping photos when no one’s looking. She enjoys Anzac cookie dough way too much and wishes she could go back to the days when collecting stickers was cool. She lives in Melbourne, where not every Aussie puts a shrimp on the barbie. Read more of her words over at http://www.amandasummons.com/blog

Blogger templates

Blogroll

About